Juliette Derel

1918 - 2007


Born in Normandy in 1918, Juliette Derel entered the Ecole des Beaux Arts in Tours in 1937. In 1939, she learnt turning and modelling in a craft workshop, and soon took part in exhibitions in Paris and Tours.
In 1942, she exhibited at the Salon de l'Imagerie in Paris, in the "Atelier de Touraine" group, ceramics section.
In 1950 she moved to Vallauris where she worked at the Grand Chêne pottery until 1952, collaborating with René Batigne in the preparation of summer exhibitions. In 1952, she set up her own business on rue du Fournas, joined by her husband Jean Rivier in 1953, producing beautiful pieces in cheerful colours and generally abstract designs. The couple worked together until 1961.
She modelled exclusively in red clay, while at the same time turning the pieces, which she then decorated. She developed an incised decoration that formed a geometric abstraction, which she did by incising the enamel, laid on an engobe undercoat. Gradually, she created sculptures in chamotte clay, in particular mirrors, for which she used bright colours.

After parting company with Rivier, Derel moved to Gréolière, where she continued to produce strong, original work. She produced ceramics, sculptures, wall tiles and small pieces of furniture. Her glazes had an instantly recognisable range, particularly her bright oranges.