JULIETTE DEREL

1918 - 2007

Chronology

Born in Normandy in 1918, Juliette Derel entered the Ecole des Beaux Arts in Tours in 1937. In 1939, she learns turning and modeling in a craft workshop, and soon participates in exhibitions in Paris and Tours.
In 1942, she exhibited at the Salon de l'Imagerie in Paris, in the "Atelier de Touraine" group, ceramics section.
From 1945 to 1952, she exhibited in France and around the world.
In 1950, she moved to Vallauris, where she worked at the Grand Chêne pottery until 1952, collaborating with René Batigne on the preparation of summer exhibitions. In 1952, she set up her own business on rue du Fournas, joined by her husband Jean Rivier in 1953, producing beautiful pieces in cheerful colors and generally abstract decor.
She modelled exclusively in red clay, while at the same time turning pieces which she then decorated. She developed an incised decoration forming a geometric abstraction, which she applied by incising the glaze on an engobe undercoat. Gradually, she created sculptures in chamotte clay, in particular mirrors, for which she used bright colors.
After their separation, Juliette Derel moved to Gréolière, where she continued to produce strong, original work.
She creates ceramics, sculptures, wall tiles and small pieces of furniture. Her glazes have an instantly recognizable range, particularly her bright oranges.
In 1962, she left Vallauris to settle in Saint Paul de Vence.